Building Boats…Building Lives
Through the building and use of wooden boats, the Alexandria Seaport Foundation helps at-risk youth turn their lives around and provides families, community groups, and schools with meaningful educational, social, and recreational experiences.
Full-time apprentices earn their GED and prepare for a career in the building trades. After school apprentices learn job and life skills as they prepare for further education or to enter the workforce. We also run an after school program four days a week between 4:00 and 6:00, extending into a full time summer program.
The latest additions to our program include an educational assistance program in the middle schools, using hands-on teaching methods to develop math skills and encourage engagement in school and Building To Teach, a train-the-trainers program intended to expand ASF teaching methods to a national audience.
Happenings and Such —Check us out. Mark Your Calendar.
- Tuesday Nights Open Shop, 7:00 pm, 2 Duke St.
- 2nd Tuesday Potluck, 7:00 pm, 2 Duke St.
- Open House Coffee and Tour, Call 703-549-7078 to arrange.
- June 9, Wine on the Water, 6 pm–8pm, 2 Duke St.
Sponsored by Grape + Bean, $45 pre-sale.
- July 21, Celebrating the Launching of the First Dory
10:00 am, 2 Duke St.
Donated Cars Needed
ASF is seeking donations of reliable used cars. Must be able to pass inspection with minimal repairs. Donors can deduct the full market value. Contact the ASF office at 703-549-7078 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent media about the Seaport Foundation
- WoodenBoat May/June 2012
- The Seaporter: April 2012
- Alexandria Gazette: GW Hammerheads: April 2012
- Alexandria Gazette: GenOn Donation: April 2012
- The Seaporter: March 2012
- Alexandria Gazette: Feb. 2012
- ASF Fall Newsletter
- Alexandria Gazette, October 27, 2011
- ASF September Newsletter
- Washington Times: September 27, 2011
- maritime TV: B2T: August, 2011
- Cool Schools: August 19, 2011
- AlexandriaNews.org: Hammond Dory Boats: June 20, 2011
- WUSA: Learning the Blues, Building Guitars: June 17, 2011
- Webcam Live!
- warung VOA January 2011
- McClatchy Newspapers : December 27, 2010
- Giving in Focus CNN: December 25, 2010
- Scuttlebutt Fall 2010
- Harvesting Human Potential: The Alexandria Seaport Foundation
ACTion Alexandria October 28, 2010
- Alexandria Gazette Packet June 17, 2010
- NBC News with Brian Williams December 9, 2009
- Scuttlebutt Fall 2009
- Catalogue for Philanthropy December 2009
- Department of Labor Newsbrief December 2009
- Alexandria Gazette Packet August 2009
- NPR: Knights in Training July 2009
- Our new blog-–Building to Teach!
- Washingtonian, (64 Ways to Do Good) December 2008
- UNSEEN AND UNHEARD: Documentary Storytelling in the Other Washington, American University, November 2008
- National Geographic Weekend, September 13, 2008
- Trailblazing, the Meyer Foundation Annual Report, 2007
- Voice of America, November 16, 2007
- Alexandria Gazette Packet, August 16-22, 2007
- Columbia, Summer 2007
- Punch List, Fall-Winter 2006-07 (Pages 18-20)
- CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, October 23, 2006
- Readers Digest Magazine Articles, February 2006
- BoatUS Magazine, January 2006
- Washingtonian, January 2006
Community and Family Boatbuilding is a unique opportunity to build your own Bevin’s Skiff rowboat — no experience neccesary! The following materials will help you conduct your own community boatbuilding event, whether you plan to build one boat or many. The boat can be completed in two days.
Bevin’s Skiff Specifications:
Length: 12 ft
Width: 4.5 ft
Weight: 120 lbs.
Capacity: 3 persons or 450 lbs. and limitless fun!
Video: How To Run a Family Boat Building Event – 18 MB (WMV)
Sample Advertising/Application Documents
- Advertising Flyer for Participants (Word)
- General Advertising of Event (Word)
- Participant Application (Word)
Items Needed at the Event
Family Boatbuilding Examples
- Small Event – Bevin’s Skiffs: The Great Outdoor Games in Reno
- Large Event – Bevin’s Skiffs: Seaport Day 2007 in Alexandria
- WoodenBoat Magazine’s Family Boatbuilding Web Page
About the Bevin’s Skiff
- Design details and ordering information for boat kit or plans
- Design details and ordering information for sail kit or plans
- Construction Guide – for Kit & Plans (PDF)
- Raw Materials List – for Plans Only (P